Apr 13, 2013

Troubadour Dali - Drift


Troubadour Dali - an indie band from St. Louis, MO. Signed under Euclid Records and have 2 albums and this one that I am going to write about now is their new song called "Drift"

Picture taken from Euclid Records' website



That was what the guy on the Euclid record store told me before he hand me over the flexi-disc of the Troubadour Dali containing 1 song - DRIFT. Wait, FLEXI-WHAT?!?

This is what a flexi-disc looks like:




So I googled "flexi-disc" and wikipedia told me that - 
The flexi disc (also known as a phonosheet or Soundsheet, a trademark) is a phonograph record made of a thin, flexible vinyl sheet with a molded-in spiral stylus groove, and is designed to be playable on a normal phonograph turntable.
And from Euclid blog -
The flexi-disc was a familiar format back in the 60s and 70s, when magazines would frequently include the cheap, extremely thin (and entirely bendable, to its misfortune) vinyl sheets as ways to provide audio commentary or samples of music. The format never cost much to produce, so it was almost always available as a free offering. That’s why it’s the perfect way to promote a young band in this new era of vinyl rejuvenation.
Now I can imagine how they were distributed, like an inserts in the magazine, it would be cool if we can do that here in Manila, as most of the young people are giving interests to vinyl and old folks are returning back... So this is how thin the flexi-disc is - as thin as a 4-pages of a notebook.



I was skeptical at first when I had it and I cannot test it until I get back to Manila, so after 10 days that's the only time my curiosity was scratched. As soon as I got home, I put it on my turntable, and yeah it played well.. and man those guys from St. Louis are good.


I don't have any idea on the band and who they are but they sounded Psych, and they sounded like they know their stuff! So i googled them and dug interesting fact - 

  • Formed in 2005 in St. Louis, MO, Troubadour Dali creates lush vocal harmonies paired with hypnotic grooves and jangly fuzz space guitar hooks.
  • Troubadour Dali was the first band signed to and released on the Euclid Records record label. Their two albums, Troubadour Dali and Let’s Make It Right, have been winning fans in St. Louis and across the Midwest.
  • Troubadour Dali was voted the Best Psychedelic Band in St. Louis in the 2012 Riverfront Times Reader’s Poll.
That's how far I can check for this band but you should check out their songs. You can get samps from these guys on their sites:



If you like what i wrote about Flexi-disc please share it on twitter - 

And also you can follow me on 



No comments:

Post a Comment