Jun 30, 2013

The Essential Series

The Essential Series | Alice in Chains & The Clash

The Essential Series is a two-disc compilation album released by Sony Music. I am not sure about the number of bands/artists that was included in the series but I saw a few in Astroplus and they are Philippine Pressed CD. For Php 250 a pop, I think it's priced well and you'll be getting at least 28 greatest songs for each band. I saw The Clash and Alice in Chains and yeah, i brought them home with me.

Alice in Chains

Best Alice in Chain compilation for me since I am not planning to collect all their albums and this "Greatest Hits" release will give me the fix I need.

Disc 1TitleDisc 2Title
1"We Die Young" (from Facelift)1"No Excuses" (from Jar of Flies)
2"Man in the Box" (from Facelift)2"I Stay Away" (from Jar of Flies)
3"Sea of Sorrow" (from Facelift)3"What the Hell Have I" (remix)
4"Love, Hate, Love" (from Facelift)4"A Little Bitter" (remix)
5"Am I Inside" (from Sap)5"Grind" (from Alice in Chains)
6"Brother" (from Sap)6"Heaven Beside You" (from Alice in Chains)
7"Got Me Wrong" (from Sap)7"Again" (from Alice in Chains)
8"Right Turn" (from Sap)8"Over Now" (unplugged version; from Unplugged)
9"Rain When I Die" (from Dirt)9"Nutshell" (unplugged version; from Unplugged)
10"Them Bones" (from Dirt)10"Get Born Again" (from Nothing Safe: Best of the Box)
11"Angry Chair" (from Dirt)11"Died" (from Music Bank)
12"Dam That River" (from Dirt)12"Would?" (from Dirt)
13"Dirt" (from Dirt)
14"God Smack" (from Dirt)
15"Hate to Feel" (from Dirt)
16"Rooster" (from Dirt)


The disc is in jewel case with 4-fold-inlets, the pictures were awesome and I assume they are from the previous album, btw, the sleeves does not contain lyrics and it just make sense because they need at least ten  pages to put all 28 songs.

I am not a huge fan of Alice in Chains but I like their songs and this compilation have almost all their hits including Man in the Box and with the exception of "Fear the Voices" back in the year '99 which I would gladly appreciate if they have included it.


The Clash

British Punk!!! yi!

The Essential - The Clash is the best starting point if you are new to the band. 2 disc, 41 tracks - best tracks of the 5 Clash albums and only for P250 a pop. If you like 70's-80's punk you'll gonna like this album and you can squeeze the last drop of attitude from it. Those who follow The Clash will definitely argue on the song selection, but I am fine with they put here. 

The Tracks are:
Disc 1TitleDisc 2Title
1White Riot (Single Version)1London Calling
219772The Guns Of Brixton
3London's Burning3Clampdown
4Complete Control4Rudie Can't Fail
5Clash City Rockers5Lost In The Supermarket
6I'm So Bored With The U.S.A.6Jimmy Jazz
7Career Opportunities7Train In Vain
8Hate And War8Bankrobber
9Cheat9The Magnificent Seven
10Police And Thieves10Ivan Meets G.I. Joe
11Janie Jones11Stop The World
12Garageland12Somebody Got Murdered
13Capital Radio One13The Street Parade
14(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais14Broadway
15English Civil War15This Is Radio Clash
16Tommy Gun16Ghetto Defendant
17Safe European Home17Rock The Casbah
18Julie's Been Working For The Drug Squad18Straight To Hell
19Stay Free19Should I Stay Or Should I Go
20Groovy Times20This Is England
21I Fought The Law

The disc is in jewel case and the cover (inlets) was printed with high quality. 4-folds-pictures of the clash without the lyrics. For P250, I didn't expect high grade sound quality, and I set my expectations right. The audio was ok, a little low on the volume but overall it's a great dig, value for the money.


And I listened to the records and finish all tracks in one sitting - it was a good experience. I only know a few songs from The Clash and I discovered a lot of songs (minor hits were included) and so I started to google the band and understand the history of the band which I really like on digging old records, there's a lot of story to tell other than the lyrics of the songs.

You can check this 2-Disc The Essential The Clash album at any Astroplus stores, it's worth your P250.

Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. How's the sound quality of the cd's? Planning to get some as well :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not say it's bad, it's still better than mp3. For the price with the number of tracks, i would not complain :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MarkRivera- thanks buddy :)

    ReplyDelete