Sep 4, 2013

Basic Turntable Setup


So, finally you decided to build your very first turntable setup and wanted to quickly start digging crates - but you are in Manila and you don't know where to source the equipment, that's a huge problem! When I started out with Vinyl I have two big, BIG problems: 1) Money and 2) Where to buy the equipment and records. That's why I started Vinyl Grimes!

Getting into record-collection-hobby can burn a big hole in your pocket. The more expensive the equipment, the more sonic enjoyment you will get - to me this is very true. But you don't need those expensive turntables and amplifiers if you want to start spinning now, you only need to be smart (read reviews) and patient (waiting for used equipment to be put on sale on some forums) and with that I want to share my very first turntable setup!

Before we go any further this article is not intended for DJ setup, I will talk about turntable setup for plainly spinning records, and not for scratching.

You can start googling what a turntable and get to know the parts and it's function to give you a good background, I won't talk about all those stuff here because they are already available in the internet like A Beginner’s Guide to Buying Your First Turntable which they discussed the anatomy of turntable in full detail.

So, here's my guide to starting your analog journey, the smart way...


The Equipments:

You'll need these basic equipments to start Spinning:
  • Turntable
  • Amplifier
  • Speakers
 In my setup I am using:
EquipmentBrandPrice in Amazon
TurntableAudio Technica ATLP60$110
AmplifierLepai 2020A+$22
Phono StagePyle Pro Phono Pre-Amp PP444$14
SpeakersA-Audio Genesis

Connection:
  1. Connect Turntable using L/R interconnects to Phono-Stage INPUT
  2. Connect Phono Stage OUTPUT to AMP's L/F Input
  3. Connect Speakers to AMP
  4. Done!!
I used the prices in Amazon just to give a base idea on how much each gears cost at present time. Right there you would compute that this setup is more or less 5.3k only without speakers! And if you decide to buy your equipment in Amazon, please also consider the shipping fee from US to Manila, Philippines because it is not damn cheap.

The Turntable

I highly recommend Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Stereo Turntable System. This is what I am using right now in my system and it delivers the performance I need. It's fully automatic so you don't have to worry about placing the needle in the record, just push the start button and it will start spinning and tone arm will move automatically. It has 2 speeds - 33 1/3 and 45 RPM, it can be switched by the button on the left side. Since this is fully automatic, there is a switch for the size of the records that you want to play, AT-LP60 only have a switch for 12" and 7" record, for 10" maybe you have to override and manually place the stylus, i am not sure I have not tried it yet.


Quick check on the basic features of AT-LP60:

  • Fully automatic operation with two speeds: 33-1/3 and 45 RPM
  • Professional aluminum platter
  • Included cables connect to your stereo or powered speakers
  • Integral Dual Magnet™ phono cartridge with replaceable stylus
  • Switchable built-in pre-amplifier with line-level RCA output cables



The dust cover is very thin but it's not a problem to me, I usually take it off when I plan to spin for hours. Coming out of the box, the AT-LP60 was already built I mean the tone arm and cartridge and stylus was already in place, you only need to put the platter and the slip mat, it's very easy to assemble. I love things that are not complicated. AT-LP60 comes in built in phono pre-amp so if you can easily plug this turntable to your home theater system. This the most easiest way to add turntable in your home theater system.

How about the sound quality? The sonic part can be debatable, but for a turntable system under $100 - this little machine will ass-kick any turntable system at the same price range and even on those that are in $200 range. The sound performance is just incredible, I will not trade this to the overpriced-looks-like-a-suitcase-turntable that is being sold here in Manila Philippines between Php 6,000 to Php 10,000 not even to any used-japanese-surplus-turntables.

The Amplifier

Lepai LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier that's the full brand name of Lepai 2020A+. Lepai 2020A+ is a china-made mini amp that has a very big reputation when it comes to sound quality. There's a ton of review out there and best way to convince you is to go to youtube and do a search on "Lepai 2020" and watch the video reviews, you'll be amazed.


Lepai 2020A+ Mini Amp does not have Phono Input that's why we need a phono pre-amp (see below) OR as I mentioned earlier AT-LP60 does come with built in phono pre-amp so you can directly plug AT-LP60 to Lepai 2020A+! And with this baby, you are not limited to using the turntable as a source because Lepai have a 3.5mm input at the back where you can plug in your mobile phone, iPad, iPod or any DAP. This mini amp can bridge the old and new technologies. Selling at dirt cheap from Php 2000 to 3000 here in Manila you cannot go wrong with this amp plus you have the liberty to adjust the type of speakers you want to use, this baby can power almost any speakers.

The Phono Pre-Amp

I am using PYLE-PRO PP444 Ultra Compact Phono Turntable Preamp to convert the low signal of the turntable to line level signal that the amplifier can handle. In my setup this is completely optional but having a separate pre-amp to be used than the built in pre-amp of AT-LP60 might have some gain plus the fact that PYLE PRO is very cheap I wouldn't make any second guess in adding it to my system.


Pyle PP444 have a good reviews as well, the unit was small, well built, cheap, and it get's the job done.

The Speaker

I am using A-Audio Genesis Bookshelf Speakers. If you haven't heard about this speakers before well this is speakers are proudly pinoy made by Mr. Anthony of Paranaque, he's been doing a lot of high end speakers but when he started the Genesis series way back in 2012 it's very very cheap, i got mine for only 3,000 Pesos for the pair and this pair are for keeps. You can find a lot of information for this speakers at pinoydvd.


You will not believe me when I say that A-Audio Genesis will put to shame the Wharfdale and Mordant Short speakers or any other speakers on 10k - 15k price range.

The Conclusion


With this combo - Audio Technical AT-LP60 + Pyple Pro P444 + Lepai2020 + A-Audio BS = sonic bliss without hurting your budget. There's a lot of combination you can do but the main point is that you have to follow the simple formula of Turntable + AMP + Speaker to have a basic setup. You can also check the local surplus shops or online shops that sells second hand equipment, that can work and will also give you a low cost setup to start with - BUT.... using second hand equipment is something I am not going to recommend for starters because you don't know when it will breakdown and it did now you have to worry about how to fix it. With brand new equipment you just have to unbox them and plug them together and start enjoying the music. And again, I've seen those portable vinyl player that looks like a suitcase, they maybe brand new, and they may even sell for less than $100, but it sounds very cheap.

As any other hobby, you have to start right. If you have less budget, try to save and be smart on purchasing your gears. If you settle for cheap alternatives, you might get turned off because you didn't like the sound and you might stick to your mp3 player.

Now where can you scout for the equipment here in Manila, Philippines? There are two forums that I can recommend, they are Pinoydvd and WiredState both have a good list of "For Sale" items, new and used. People there are very friendly so don't be shy to ask questions. You can also like Vinyl Grimes' Facebook Page I sometimes post items there that I am willing to sell.

Vinyl Records in the Philippines are very hard to come by, and if they do it's sometimes expensive and that's what makes Crate Digging in the Philippines more exciting.


Join the Truly Rich Club

40 comments:

  1. Sir, first i would like to say that this is a great and informative article! second, i would like to ask how much did it cost you (in pesos) to buy+shipping fee+customs for these? and how long would i have to wait before the items arrive from amazon? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this informative blog. a friend shared it in his FB page and i saw it in perfect timing. i am jumping in the vinyl craze. i have pre-ordered an audio technica LP120 usb from a local supplier here in singapore and i am researching for a basic but solid set up. i am an ofw working in singapore but have frequent visits to manila. can you be kind enough to point to me where to buy the amplifier and the phono pre amp? i was thinking of using the turntable's built in pre amp and connect it to a dvd home theater set up but the usual 5.1 spearker system ain't cheap as well. can you point me where to buy the amp, phono pre amp and the speaker. thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this information. I am a music lover and continuously search for different types of music systems. Recently I purchased Dali speakers from savins, they are worth buying. With them I have a great home entertainment experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jon it's nice to have different media formats in your system :) you have variations and you can definitely play whatever you want based on your mood, right?!

      Delete
  4. Where did you buy your audio technica turntable here in manila?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! How do you use LP-60 in Manila given that the required voltage is 120V? Do you use a step-down converter? If so, may I know which brand and etc? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using TRU-BLU Stepdown Transformer 2000watts.

      Delete
  6. considering using this exact same setup, but will probably cut out the preamp. That being said, i want to be able to run my records relatively loud, is the volume decent enough without the preamp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey James! I would yes, I have tried it and the volume was decently loud!

      Delete
  7. Hi Mark, thanks for the great information. Thinking of going with the same setup but without the The Phono Pre-Amp. How will the sound be different as compared with and without the Phono Pre-Amp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kenneth! without the Pre-Amp i would say that the sound difference will be negligible if you are using so so speaker and so so waxes... but once you use audiophile grade vinyl you will hear the difference on the "detail" part and the sound stage will have more depth and width, i used to describe it as "it has more life"

      With or without, i say go start setting up. If you decided to not use the phono then do it, there will be time in your journey to analog world that you will then decide to add it.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where can i buy audio technika at lp60 here in the philippines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are in luck my friend, LP60 up on sale here -> http://tinyurl.com/lwbqaau

      Delete
    2. any recommendations for other turntables w/ built in phonostage?
      store(s) carrying the LP60? tks

      Delete
    3. i might know someone who might sell LP60 in Manila, send a message at Vinyl Grimes FB.

      Delete
  10. Great advice, thank you Vinyl Grimes! I followed it all and I am very pleased! The Lepai amp is plenty powerful with the LP60, but I just ordered the Pyle preamp anyway, to see if there are subtle differences. Also ordered a stylus "upgrade" to see if it will pick up any sonic details the original stylus doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same turntable and pre amp but I have 120W Sony SS-B1000 and when I connect them to the pre amp I get a lot of static from one of the speakers. Do the speakers need to be less Watts so the pre amp can handle them? Is there something I can do to fix this? Or is my pre amp just deffective?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thanks for the helpful information - I have a question. I have almost your exact set up but without the pre-amp. My question concerns the "phono" and "line" option of the record player. It seems to work on both phone and line. On line level, the volume is MUCH louder. I have looked all over the web and can't find any particularly clear explanation as to the actual difference (I see in your post that this amplifier lacks a "phono" input, but on the "phono" setting I still was getting good quality sound (just not enough volume). Switched the record player to line, and the volume is better. Just wondering if you could explain the differences to an extreme layperson and whether leaving this on "line" would be alright for the system/produce best sound. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great article sir! do you have any recommendations for an amp that has an integrated phono stage (ie phono preamp)? just got a turntable recently, and would like to keep my setup as minimal as possible, while driving some decent boston acoustic speakers i had packed away. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jau if you are on a budget try going to Japanese Surplus Shop and pick any amp that looks physically OK to you and check the back if it has phono pre amp, if it does then it should work for you.

      If you have a budget try visiting HyperAudio (Rene Rivo) just google his name and you will get his addres, you can sample a wide range of amp, mostly used. Or better, audition is Sakura AVT200 Hypertrod version for i think 10k bnew and modified with phono amp.

      If you already have an amp then forgot about what i said :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Mark! Since I posted this comment, I decided to go the cheapy route and picked up a Denon PMA520AE amp. It serves its purpose, isn't too big and didn't hit my pocket too hard!

      Delete
    3. Jau - audio setup is always unique to each owners preferences, glad you found that amp! Keep on spinning!

      Delete
  14. Hi Sir, may alam po kayo where to buy LP-2020A+ Lepai here in manila? thanks po in advance

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mark,
    Do you know where I can buy the Pyle mini preamp?
    Thanks, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mr Anonymous!

      This guy is selling Pyle PP444 Phono for 1650php and ships for free. Give him a call at 09176716881

      Delete
  16. Hi! I am planning to get this turntable from amazon, can i connect this directly to a Marshall Stanmore speakers or do i still need the Amps/ pre amps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi - Yes, Stanmore have RCA at the back, just plug LP60 to the back of Stanmore, turn on the pre-amp of LP60 then you are all set to spin!

      enjoy and let me know if i works for you! I'd be interested to hear the output.

      Delete
  17. The more expensive the equipment, the more sonic enjoyment you will get - to me this is very true. Viet Hoa

    ReplyDelete
  18. If many people bought this product then this is great and I also want bought to this good looking instrument for my house decoration.How much this and where I order to this product?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! I need your advice! I got my dad an Audio Technica LP60 and was recommended to pair that with B&W 685/686 bookshelf speakers and Sakura amps. Is this a good starter kit? This is my gift to my dad this Christmas.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B&W is too much! It will definitely produce a decent sound but you're not maximizing the B&W's power :)

      Delete
  20. I bought this exact setup a few months ago, except for using my own speakers. It worked great. However, a few days ago, the sound became distorted and sounds awful. I checked the belt, the stylus and the settings, and it all looks fine. I installed a different set of speakers, and the sound was still distorted. My system is unuseable (on Christmas day when I bought records for my family of their favorite artists!) and I am ready to chuck this whole set up. Does anyone have advice that might save this for me? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you soooo much in sharing this information. I purchased this setup for my wife's Christmas gift. It sounds great!!!

    ReplyDelete